While setting up a demo environment which needed a trial CRM 2016 online with on premise Adxstudio version 126.96.36.199, I faced an issue while configuring the connection to the trial CRM online environment from Adxstudio. I received the below error in the connection setup screen of Adxstudio.
While figuring out the cause for this, I noted that all the new trial CRM online instances are deployed as Dynamics 365 instances by default.
Adxstudio version 188.8.131.52
I found that there is a new version of Adxstudio released recently, and I hoped that this version would fix the Adxstudio incompatibility with Dynamics 365.
Even though Adxstudio version 184.108.40.206 has got fixes for many previous bugs, this issue which occurs while setting up the CRM connection has not been fixed in the latest version.
You can find the fixes included in the Adxstudio version 220.127.116.11 in the Release Notes.
Changing instance version from Dynamics 365 to CRM 2016 Update 1
I made a decision to change the Dynamics 365 instance to be a CRM 2016 Update 1 instance to see whether it makes any difference, and it did. Therefore, I’m going to guide you with steps to change a Dynamics 365 environment to a CRM 2016 Update 1 environment.
- Navigate to http://portal.office.com/ and sign in using an account with Admin rights to the CRM instance.
- Click on the “Admin” icon.
- Click on the “Admin Center” icon on the left hand side tool bar, and click on the “Dynamics 365” link.
- Select the instance you want to change into Dynamics CRM 2016 Update 1. Note that the trial instance I have was setup as a production instance automatically. Therefore, you won’t be able to reset the instance.
- In the edit instance screen, change instance type from “Production instance” to “Sandbox instance” and click on the next button.
Click on the “save” button in the next screen.
- You will note that the special actions available to sandbox instances are available now. In this “Manage all Dynamics 365 instances” screen, select the CRM instance you want to change into “Dynamics CRM 2016 Update 1” from Dynamics 365, and click on the “RESET” button.
N.B: Please make sure that you export any customisations you’ve made in this instance prior to resetting the instance.
- Select the “Target version” as “Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2016 Update 1” in the “reset instance” screen.
Click on the “reset” button.
- Click on the “yes” button in the confirmation screen.
- Wait until the instance is available once again.
- Once the instance is available back again, try to configure the Adxstudio connection to CRM, and you will note that the error which you get while trying to configure a connection to Dynamics 365 is not troubling you anymore.
- Keep in mind not to upgrade your current CRM 2016 + Adxstudio environments beyond “Dynamics CRM 2016 Update 1” until a confirmed fix is available from Adxstudio.
- If you are setting up a trial instance of Dynamics 365 make sure that you reset the instance version to CRM 2016 Update 1 prior to the installation of Adxstudio solution files.