PowerBI helps transform data into valuable insights. The rich visuals and colourful graphics allow users to easily analyse data and focus on key information. PowerBI can easily be connected to various datasets (xls, csv, etc.), web resources and some SAAS offerings.
The purpose of this blog to provide step-by-step instructions on connecting PowerBI to Dynamics 365 online, and to demonstrate creating a PowerBI dashboard within Dynamics 365 online.
Setting Up PowerBI with Dynamics 365 and Enabling PowerBI within Dynamics 365
As a pre-requisite, a user should have a valid Dynamics 365 licence and a PowerBI licence.
Steps to Connect PowerBI to Dynamics 365 online
- Connect PowerBI to Dynamics Customer Service Manager (i.e. Dynamics 365 online instance).
- Power BI will prompt user to ask for a Dynamics 365 online url.
- PowerBI will populate the data source url. However, it will ask user to enter authentication mode.
- User needs to set authentication to OATH2.
Steps to Enable PowerBI tiles in Dynamics 365 Dashboard
- Goto Dynamics 365 Settings.
- From Settings, go to Administration.
- In System Settings, enable PowerBI tile.
Once PowerBI is connected to Dynamics 365 online instance, PowerBI dashboard would look something like this:
Creating a New Dashboard with PowerBI
Dynamics 365 easily allows users to create a new dashboard with Power BI. Here are a few steps to create a new dashboard with PowerBI tile:
- Click on ‘+’ button on the dashboard.
- Enter name for dashboard.
- Choose layout.
- Click on PowerBI tile.
Click on PowerBI Dashboard from the dropdown. By default, dropdown will have dashboard from Online Service Manager, Customer Service Representative, Sales manager and others.
- Select the role.
- Select Title from the drop down.
- Select Ok.
Similarly, users will need to add other tiles to complete the Dashboard Layout. Once completed, dashboard would look something like the one below.
I hope this provides sufficient information on connecting PowerBI and enabling the same in Dynamics 365. For further information, please get in touch with me via Neeraj.Kapoor@smsmt.com.