It is finally here! One of the most requested Dynamics CRM features is finally here!
The Editable Grid control is a new part of the Custom Control Infrastructure feature. Unlike the other features, the Editable Grid control can also be applied to Web Application. This provides rich inline editing in the main grids and the subgrids.
Editable grids support:
- In-grid editing of records at the entity or sub-grid level
- Web and mobile clients
- Navigation using a keyboard or mouse
- Grouping and Sorting (Able to group by/sort by any column on current view)
- Moving and resizing columns
- Lookup configuration
- Calculated fields and Rollup fields
- Business rules
- Hierarchical view
- Enabling or disabling of cells based on security role
To enable Editable Grids, navigate to Settings > Customizations > Customize the System > Select an Entity > Controls.
Add the Editable Grid Control.
Select the “Web” option for the Editable Grid control and Publish your changes.
When you navigate to the Entity List View, you will see a new ‘Show As’ menu on the Command Bar. Select the ‘Editable Grid’ Option from the ‘Show As’ menu to view the Editable Grid.
The Editable Grid also provides the Grouping function which allows you to group by any column on the grid.
Don’t forget to click the Save button to save the edits.
There’s one area which I felt the user experience could be improved – ‘Auto Save’ on Tab out of the record.